As a freelancer, you’re not just a service provider but also a business owner. That means you’re responsible for managing all aspects of your business, including finances. One of the most important aspects of this is invoicing.
With the right invoicing software, you can streamline your billing process, get paid faster, and have more time to focus on your work. In this post, we’ll take a look at the top 9 invoicing software for freelancers in 2023.
Why You Need Invoicing Software
Before we dive into the list, let’s talk about why you need invoicing software in the first place. Like I said earlier, when you are freelancing, you’re not just a service provider but also a business owner, which means you’re responsible for managing all aspects of your business, including finances.
That said, here are ways invoicing software can help you:
1. Create professional invoices quickly and easily: First impressions matter. When you send a professional-looking invoice, you show your clients you’re serious about your business. Invoicing software allows you to create beautiful, professional invoices that impress your clients and make you look more credible.
2. Automate recurring invoices and payment reminders: If you have regular clients, you can set up recurring invoices to go out automatically. This not only saves you time but also ensures that you don’t forget to bill your clients. You may also set up automatic payment reminders to encourage your customers to pay their invoices on time.
3. Track your income and expenses: To manage your cash flow and prepare for tax season, keeping track of your income and expenses is essential. Invoicing software can automatically track these for you, making it easier for you to understand your business’s financial health.
4. Accept payments from clients in various ways: Clients appreciate having multiple payment options. Invoicing software allows you to accept payments via credit card, bank transfer, and PayPal.
5. Stay organized and make tax time easier: You’ll be thankful for having all your financial information in one place. Invoicing software can generate financial reports that can help you file your taxes more easily.
Now, let’s take a look at the top invoicing software for freelancers in 2023.
Top 9 Best Invoicing Software for Freelancers in 2023
Our Top Pick: QuickBooks
After careful consideration, our top pick for the best invoicing software for freelancers in 2023 is QuickBooks. QuickBooks is a comprehensive accounting software solution that offers a dedicated invoicing module for freelancers and small businesses.
It simplifies invoicing, allowing users to create professional invoices, track their status, and receive payments online. QuickBooks is known for its astonishing user-friendly interface and robust features that cater to various business needs.
Here are the 9 best invoicing software for freelancers in 2023
Bonsai is an all-in-one product suite designed to help freelancers manage their business. It offers a range of features, from proposal management to time tracking, expense tracking, and invoicing. With Bonsai, freelancers can create professional invoices quickly, automate recurring invoices, and send automatic reminders to clients, saving them the hassle of chasing down payments.
- Proposal Management: Create and send professional proposals to clients.
- Time Tracking: Track the time spent on different tasks and projects.
- Expense Tracking: Keep track of all your business expenses.
- Invoicing: Create and send invoices to clients. You can also automate recurring invoices.
- Automatic Reminders: Send automatic reminders to clients about upcoming and overdue payments.
The pricing information for Bonsai is not directly available from the scraped data. I recommend visiting their pricing page for the most accurate and up-to-date information.
Bonsai is best for freelancers who want an all-in-one solution for managing their business. It’s particularly useful for freelancers who have recurring invoices and need to track time and expenses.
FreshBooks is a CB (cloud-based) accounting solution that is tailored specifically for use by freelancers and small enterprises. It includes a variety of functions such as project management, invoicing, expense monitoring, and time tracking among its offerings. With FreshBooks, freelancers can create professional invoices in seconds, accept payments online, and track their time and expenses efficiently.
- Invoicing: Create professional invoices in seconds, personalize them with your logo and colors, and even set up recurring invoices to automate your billing.
- Expense Tracking: You can easily connect your bank account or credit card to automatically import and categorize your expenses.
- Time Tracking: With FreshBooks, you can keep track of the time you spend on different projects and tasks, making it easy to bill accurately.
- Reporting: Generate various reports, including profit and loss statements, expense reports, and sales tax summaries.
- Project Management: Track project status and collaborate with clients and team members.
FreshBooks offers three pricing plans:
- Lite: $15 per month. This plan includes unlimited customized invoices, unlimited expense entries, accepting credit card and ACH payments, automated tax calculations, and more. It allows you to bill up to 5 clients.
- Plus: $25 per month. This plan includes all features of the Lite plan and allows you to bill up to 50 clients. It also includes unlimited proposals, automated recurring invoices, double-entry accounting reports, and more.
- Premium: At $50 per month, this plan is designed for growing businesses and includes all the features of the Plus plan, but it allows you to send invoices to up to 500 clients.
- FreshBooks also provides a customized price plan for companies that have specific requirements.
FreshBooks is best for small businesses and freelancers.
Wave is a comprehensive financial software designed for small businesses, freelancers, and consultants. It offers a suite of tools for invoicing, payments, accounting, and even payroll, making it a one-stop solution for all your financial management needs.
- Invoicing: Wave allows you to create customized, professional invoices that reflect your brand. It also sends automated payment reminders and enables credit card, bank payments, and Apple Pay directly from your invoices.
- Accounting: With Wave, you get unlimited income and expense tracking, the ability to add unlimited partners, collaborators, or accountants, and access to helpful reports like Overdue Invoices & Bills and Profit & Loss.
- Banking: Wave helps you separate business and personal expenses, simplifying tax season. It also offers Instant Payouts and automatic logging and categorizing Wave debit card purchases in the accounting software.
- Payments: Wave allows clients to pay via bank deposit, credit card, and Apple Pay. It also syncs invoice payments automatically to your accounting dashboard and allows for the setup of recurring billing and payments for retainer clients.
- Payments: Pay-per-use (Credit Cards – 2.9% + $0.60 per transaction, 3.4% + $0.60 per AMEX transaction; Bank payments – 1% per transaction with a $1 minimum fee)
- Mobile Receipts: $8/month billed monthly or $72/year billed annually
- Payroll: $20/month + $6 per active employee + $6 per independent contractor paid
- Advisors: Plans start at $149/month
Wave is best for small business owners, freelancers, and consultants looking for a comprehensive, free financial management solution that integrates invoicing, accounting, banking, and payments. It’s also a good choice for businesses that need payroll services and want the option of expert financial advice.
4. QuickBooks (Now Intuit)
QuickBooks is a comprehensive accounting software solution that offers a dedicated invoicing module for freelancers and small businesses. It simplifies invoicing, allowing users to create professional invoices, track their status, and receive payments online.
- Customizable Invoices: QuickBooks allows users to create professional invoices that reflect their brand. Users can add their logo, choose from various templates, and customize their color schemes.
- Online Payments: With QuickBooks, freelancers can accept online payments with credit or debit cards and ACH bank transfers. This feature makes it easier for clients to pay and helps freelancers get paid faster.
- Invoice Tracking: QuickBooks provides real-time invoice tracking that lets users know when their clients view and pay invoices. This feature helps freelancers manage their cash flow more effectively.
- Automatic Reminders: QuickBooks can send automatic reminders to clients about upcoming and past-due payments, reducing the time freelancers spend chasing payments.
- Integration with Other QuickBooks Features: QuickBooks invoicing integrates seamlessly with other QuickBooks features like expense tracking, time tracking, and financial reporting, providing a comprehensive business management solution.
QuickBooks offers three pricing plans:
- Simple Start: Priced at $25 per month, this plan is ideal for new businesses. It includes features like income and expense tracking, receipt capture and organization, and basic reporting.
- Essentials: Priced at $40 per month, this plan suits growing businesses. This plan includes all the features of the Simple Start plan, plus bill management, time tracking, and more detailed reporting.
- Plus: Priced at $70 per month, this plan is designed for established businesses. It includes all the features of the Essentials plan, plus project profitability tracking, inventory tracking, and the ability to manage 1099 contractors.
QuickBooks is best for freelancers and small businesses needing comprehensive, user-friendly invoicing and accounting solutions. It’s particularly useful for those who want to accept online payments, track their invoices in real time, and integrate invoicing with other business management features.
5. AND.CO (Now Fiverr Workspace)
AND.CO, now known as Fiverr Workspace, is a comprehensive invoicing software offering various features to help freelancers manage their businesses. It’s a part of Fiverr, a global online marketplace for freelance services, which means it’s designed with the needs of freelancers in mind.
- Invoicing and funds: You can customize and automate your invoices and accept funds quickly and safely in any currency via bank transfer, credit card, or PayPal.
- Task Management: Keep track of your time with tools that let you “set it and forget it” and automatically put tasks in order of importance.
- Contracts and Proposals: Use smart proposals that automatically create contracts, collect fees, and do a lot more. Easy to update and share pre-filled contracts that help you and your clients build safe, fair relationships.
- Expense tracking and reports: Link your business account to your bank account to track, organize, and understand your business costs. Check out automatic business reports including your Fiverr and your other work.
Fiverr Workspace offers two plans:
- Free Plan: This plan includes streamlined business tools, effortless client payments, Fiverr seller integrations, and ready-to-use contracts. It’s best for businesses with just one client.
- Unlimited Plan: Priced at $18 per month, this plan offers additional features like smart, editable contracts, unlimited client management, custom-branded documents, 360° business analytics, and priority support. It’s ideal for freelancers with multiple clients.
AND.CO or Fiverr Workspace is best for freelancers who are already using Fiverr for their services. It’s also great for those needing a comprehensive solution beyond invoicing to include features like task management, contracts, and proposals.
PandaDoc is a comprehensive invoicing solution that goes beyond just creating and sending invoices. Its platform allows you to create, send, track, and eSign beautiful, personalized invoices and other business documents. It’s a great choice for freelancers who want to streamline their document workflow and make it more efficient.
- Document Builder: Create professional invoices using PandaDoc’s intuitive drag-and-drop document builder.
- Templates: Access a library of pre-made templates to quickly create invoices, proposals, contracts, and more.
- eSignatures: Get your invoices and other documents signed quickly with legally binding eSignatures.
- Document Analytics: Track when your invoices are opened, viewed, and signed with real-time document analytics.
- CRM Integrations: PandaDoc integrates with popular CRM platforms, allowing you to automate your document workflow.
PandaDoc offers four pricing plans:
- Free eSign Plan: This plan is free and allows you to upload, send, eSign, and collect payments on up to five documents per month.
- Essentials Plan: Priced at $19 per user per month, this plan includes unlimited document uploads and eSignatures, templates, real-time tracking and notifications, and 24/7 email and chat support.
- Business Plan: For $49 per user per month, you get everything in the Essentials plan plus CRM and Zapier integrations, content library, custom branding, approval workflows, and more.
- Enterprise Plan: This plan offers advanced features for large companies with complex document workflows. The pricing is custom, and you need to contact PandaDoc for a quote.
PandaDoc is best for freelancers and small businesses that need more than just a simple invoicing tool. If you frequently create and send other types of business documents like proposals, contracts, and quotes, PandaDoc can be a great all-in-one solution.
7. Zoho Invoice
Zoho Invoice is a powerful invoicing platform designed for freelancers, entrepreneurs, and SMEs. It offers a variety of features, including time tracking, invoicing, expense tracking, and a customer self-service portal. With Zoho Invoice, freelancers can create invoices, retainers, and credit notes, adapt to local currencies, languages, and tax laws, and automate payment reminders. It’s a comprehensive solution for freelancers who need more than just invoicing.
- Invoicing: Create invoices, retainers, and credit notes.
- Payments: Collect payments online 24/7 and accept payments via cash, checks, and bank transfers.
- Time Tracking: Log time and manage projects.
- Expense Tracking: Scan receipts and track expenses.
- Customer Self-Service Portal: Provide a portal for customers to accept/decline quotes.
Zoho Invoice is free! There are no ads, no contracts, and no hidden fees. However, there are some limitations:
- 1000 invoices per year
- 3 users per organization
- 3 custom fields per module
- 1000 API requests per day
For more information, visit their pricing page.
Zoho Invoice is best for freelancers, entrepreneurs, and SMEs who need a powerful yet free invoicing platform. It’s particularly useful for managing multiple customers, tracking time and expenses, and providing a customer self-service portal.
Invoicely is a powerful online invoicing platform designed for small businesses and freelancers.
It’s simple and intuitive and offers a range of features that make invoicing and financial management easy. Invoicely provides freelancers with necessary invoice features, plus it’s a cost-effective choice for freelancers who need advanced invoicing features.
- Multiple Businesses: Manage all your businesses from a single account.
- Estimates and Quotes: Send professional estimates and quotes to your clients.
- Time, Expenses, and Mileage Tracking: Keep track of all your billable hours, expenses, and mileage.
- Recurring Invoices: Set up recurring invoices for ongoing services.
- Online Payments: Accept payments online through various payment gateways.
Invoicely offers four pricing plans:
- Free Plan: This plan is free and allows you to send at least 5 invoices per month and manage up to 3 clients.
- Basic Plan: Priced at $9.99 per month, this plan includes up to 2 team members, unlimited invoices, estimates, recurring invoices, and full business branding.
- Professional Plan: For $19.99 per month, you get everything in the Basic plan plus up to 10 team members.
- Enterprise Plan: For $29.99 per month, you get everything in the Professional plan plus up to 25 team members.
Invoicely is best for freelancers that need a simple yet powerful invoicing solution. Its ability to manage multiple businesses from a single account makes it a great choice for freelancers managing multiple projects or businesses.
Invoice2go is a mobile and web app intended to help freelancers and small businesses manage and track their billing on the go. It offers a lot of features as other invoicing software, including customizable invoices, estimates, and reports. With Invoice2go, freelancers can create professional invoices, accept payments online, and keep track of their business performance.
- Invoicing: Easily and quickly create professional invoices.
- Payments: Take online payments and provide clients with practical payment alternatives.
- Gain more clients by providing polished estimates and bids.
- Reports: Get information and keep tabs on your company’s success.
- Client Communications: Use email marketing to personally interact with and reach out to your audience.
Invoice2go offers three pricing plans:
- Starter: This plan includes 30 invoices/year, card payment fees of 3.5%, free bank transfers (ACH), a bank account, client communications, and ratings & reviews.
- Professional: This plan includes everything in Starter, plus 100 invoices/year, lower card payment fees of 3%, QuickBooks / Xero integration, advanced reports, and marketplace integrations (coming soon).
- Premium: This plan includes everything in Professional, plus unlimited invoices, the lowest card payment fees of 2.9%, recurring invoices, and phone support.
For more information, visit their pricing page.
Invoice2go is best for small businesses and freelancers who need a mobile and web app for managing and tracking their billing on the go. It’s particularly useful for those who need to create professional invoices, accept payments online, and keep track of their business performance.
Choosing the right invoicing software can make a huge difference in your freelance business. It can save you time, help you get paid faster, and make your life a lot easier. So take the time to consider your needs and explore different options. And remember, the best invoicing software is the one that works best for you and your business.
Invoicing software is more than just a tool for creating invoices. It’s a tool that can help you manage your business more effectively, impress your clients, and ultimately increase your bottom line. So if you’re still using manual methods to create and send your invoices, consider making the switch to invoicing software. It could be one of the best decisions you make for your business.