TikTok has become one of the top platforms for sharing and discovering short-form videos. The addictive app makes it easy to spend hours scrolling through an endless stream of content. A key feature fueling TikTok’s engagement is the ability to repost videos you enjoy to your own profile.
However, reposts should be used intentionally. Sometimes rethinking what you share is needed. And That’s where you might want to unrepost videos on TikTok i.e removing content you previously reshared.
With over 1 billion monthly active TikTok users, profiles get cluttered with old reposts that no longer reflect users’ interests or brand. This complete guide will teach you how to refresh your profile by unreposting in just a few simple steps.
We’ll cover everything from what reposting is to when and why to unrepost videos. You’ll also learn the step-by-step process to delete reposts from your TikTok profile. Whether you want to remove videos one-by-one or do a full repost purge, this guide has you covered.
Read on to learn how to curate your TikTok presence by unreposting stale content.
You might also like: Top 15 Must-Have Mobile Apps for Freelancers in 2023
What is Reposting on TikTok?
When you repost a video on TikTok, you are sharing another user’s video straight to your own profile. You can repost videos whether you follow the user or not.
Here’s how reposting works:
- When you repost, the original video appears on your profile intact.
- The original creator’s username is attached so they receive credit.
- You can add a caption, but the original audio plays. You cannot edit a reposted video.
- Reposts appear in your profile’s main feed like your own videos.
Reposting differs from other share options like dueting, stitching, or using another user’s sound where you create something new with their content. A straight repost keeps the video fully in its original form.
Why Unrepost Videos on TikTok?
There are a few reasons you may want to remove a reposted video:
- Changing interests: If your interests have shifted, old reposts may no longer fit your profile. Unreposting lets you curate a more current feed.
- Creator request: Sometimes creators ask for videos to be removed. Respecting their wishes is the right thing to do.
- Clearing old content: Doing a sweep of your profile to clear outdated videos helps keep your profile fresh.
- Accidental repost: If you reposted the wrong video by accident, unreposting can quickly fix the mistake.
- Didn’t like it anymore: Upon further watching, you may decide you no longer enjoy or want to be associated with a video.
Unreposting clears up your profile and lets you present a more intentional collection of videos.
Easy Step-by-Step Guide to Unrepost Videos on TikTok
HOW TO UNREPOST VIDEOS ON TIKTOK
Ready to remove a repost from your TikTok profile? Follow these detailed step by step guide:
1. Open Your TikTok Profile
Step one to unrepost videos on TikTok is to launch and open the TikTok app on your mobile device. Tap on the “Me” tab at the bottom to access your profile page.
2. Navigate to Your Posted Videos
Navigating to your posted videos is the second step to unrepost videos on TikTok. Tap on the three line menu icon in the top right corner of your profile. A dropdown menu appears – select “Posted” to open your posted videos.
3. Locate the Repost You Want to Delete
The third step to unrepost videos on TikTok is to locate the video you want to delete. So, scroll down through your posted videos to find the repost you want to remove. Look for the original creator’s username tagged on the video to identify a repost.
4. Access the Video Options
The next step to unrepost videos on TikTok is the access the video options. And you can do this by tapping on the three dot icon in the bottom right of the repost video thumbnail. This opens a menu with options like “Edit video”, “Share to…”, and critically, the “Delete” option.
5. Select “Delete” to Begin Unreposting
From the menu, choose “Delete” to initiate removing the reposted video. This will not delete the video immediately, but starts the video deletion process.
6. Confirm the Video Deletion
A pop-up appears to confirm you want to delete this repost. Double check you chose the correct video, then tap “Delete” again.
7. Check It’s Removed from Your Profile
The repost will vanish from your profile right after you confirm the deletion. Scroll through your posted videos to verify the repost no longer appears.
And that’s it! Just those few simple steps to successfully unrepost a video on your TikTok profile. The original poster’s video will remain unaffected on their channel.
Tips for Managing Your TikTok Reposts
TIPS FOR MANAGING YOUR TIKTOK REPOSTS
- Check that the creator approves of reposting if you want to share their content.
- Delete any old caption text you added to a repost when unreposting to erase all associations.
- Remember that unreposting only removes the video from your own TikTok channel, not the entire platform.
- You can repost a video again in the future if you change your mind after unreposting.
- Use reposts intentionally to curate content that aligns with your profile aesthetic or interests.
- Organize your profile by unreposting videos that no longer suit your brand or content style.
Reposting and unreposting is a great tool for curating your TikTok profile. By removing reposts that are outdated, irrelevant, or you just don’t vibe with anymore, you can keep your TikTok profile fresh and intentional.
So now that you’re a pro on reposting and unreposting, it’s time to put your skills into action! Use this guide as a reference anytime you need to remove reposts from your profile. Stay on top of curating your content to become a true TikTok influencer.
FAQ About Unreposting on TikTok
Does unreposting delete the original video?
No, unreposting only removes the video from your own TikTok profile. The original poster’s video will remain untouched on their channel.
Can you get in trouble for reposting?
Reposting without permission can get your account flagged for copyright violation if the creator files a claim. Always check that creators are okay with reposts.
Is there a limit to how many times you can repost/unrepost a video?
No, you can repost and unrepost a video as many times as you want. TikTok doesn’t limit how many times the same video can be reposted across accounts.
Will my followers get notified if I unrepost a video?
No, unreposting is seamless. The video will disappear from your profile, but your followers will not get notified in their feeds.
Can I undo an accidental unrepost?
Yes! As long as the original video still exists, you can easily repost it again after accidentally unreposting. Repost the same way you did the first time.
Will I lose engagement if I delete reposts with a lot of likes?
Any engagement stats on a reposted video disappear when you unrepost. But don’t worry – deleting old viral reposts won’t affect your overall profile engagement.
What happens to my repost comments if I unrepost?
When you unrepost, all comments left on that repost will be deleted. To preserve conversations, take screenshots of conversations first.
How do I mass unrepost videos?
Unfortunately, there is no “select all” delete option. You have to go through and manually unrepost each video one by one. It’s a hassle, but worth it to curate your profile.
Hopefully these tips help you easily clean up your TikTok reposts! Let me know if you have any other questions.